What do Kiwi caravanners need to tour Australia?

Hi there all,

My wife and I are contemplating buying a caravan and 4WD so that we can spend a couple of years travelling round this amazing country of yours. I would appreciate any advice concerning licensing, insurance, registration etc.

Will we need an Australian address? Any positive comments and/or suggestions will be welcome.

I currently work at sea off the west coast of WA but I live in NZ. I work five weeks on and have five weeks off so we thought that this would be an opportune time to do this.

John Baxter