Opinion: Farmers' markets and food miles
CW's top pics - tell us yours
In the June edition of Caravan World, columnist Lloyd Junor discusses how farmers’ markets minimise "food miles" – the distance that food travels to get to us before we eat it.
"Weekend farmers’ markets offer several bonuses that you might consider. You can directly ask the grower if there have been sprays, etc., used in the production process. The produce will have been handled less, so it should have fewer bruises. It should be fresher. It will not have been carried from a distant place, so there is less greenhouse gas involved."
CW is compiling a list of top farmers’ markets Australia-wide. Lloyd started the ball rolling, listing a few of his favourites – share yours with us, and tell us why!
- Murrabit Country Market, (Vic) Market, on Murray River, NE of Lake Charm. 1st Sat of month. Biggest rural market in Oz. You name it - it's there!
Immense. (A golf buggy would be handy!)
- Salamanca markets,
Hobart (Tas). Saturdays. Local organic foods, fruit veges crafts flowers buskers - a very big market. Wear good footwear as there's a lot of walking!
- Mindil Beach Sunset markets, Mindil Beach, Darwin (NT). April to Oct, Thursdays
and Sundays, 5-10pm.
Arts, crafts, handmades, foods galore, buskers. Beware sitting on the grass at night - the midgies bite!
Not so much a farmers' market selling fresh produce
but a sensational place to visit and get atmosphere of the north.
- Broome Courthouse markets, Broome (WA). Every Sat 8-1, Sundays 8 -1 from April to Oct. Shady trees, heritage setting, preserves, clothing, buskers.
- Girgarre (pronounced
gurr - garry), near Tongala (Vic). Second Sunday of the month. On town common, and street closure. 100 stalls, produce, plants, preserves, handcrafts, cakes, meats. Recommended
- Prince of Wales Showgrounds Market, Bendigo Showgrounds, near Eaglehawk, (Vic).
Every Sunday 8-3. Trash, trasure, bric-a-brac, fruit and beg, live poultry (ducks, geese, hens, bantams), rabbits, puppies, machinery, dairy, clothing, antiques, books, handmade goods, many areas under cover.
- Penguin Market, Penguin (Tas). Every Sunday early to mid-afternoon. Under cover. Huge market of 300+ stalls, entertainment, produce, old wares, meats, dairy, poultry, clothing, fruit and veges.
Share yours with us, and tell us why!